Tuesday, November 26, 2019

November Blog

During the month of November, I have become "thankful" for my properly functioning kidneys, heart, and lungs! Since I did not take physiology or anatomy in college, I felt like I learned a lot of useful information about these vital organs, which I will undoubtedly have to encounter again. I believe the kidneys might be the most complicated organs in the body after this month. They have so many jobs and have either a direct or indirect effect on all other organ systems.  I found diuretics to be my favorite drug class so far. Before this module, I only thought of diuretics as drugs that increased urine output, and boy was wrong. Now I think of diuretics as the swiss army knife of drugs; they have such a wide range of applications compared to other medications. For example, the diuretic mannitol can be used for head trauma, while the diuretic acetazolamide is used for acute mountain sickness, loop diuretics can be used for edemas, and the list goes on. 

For my community service this month, I volunteered to help with the Girls on the Run 5k. This organization is dedicated to empowering girls for their future. During this volunteering experience, I helped with setting up the various stations and then worked at the “hydration station” during the race. I thought it was a funny coincidence that I learned about diuretics and water retention the whole month and then spent time helping others stay hydrated. Overall, I felt like this was a great month, and I’m excited to keep going through the program!


GOTR 5k 
Monthly Community Service Hours: 5
Cumulative Community Service Hours: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

April Post

The month of April was a roller coaster ride for me. I finished my last semester of pharmacology, survived a tornado, and am living in a glo...