Thursday, October 31, 2019

October Blog Post

The month of October was a "spooky" one. We began the month by learning about physiology and the autonomic nervous system. The amount and complexity of the material were scary. Still, I really enjoyed learning about how the autonomic nervous system is constantly at work, allowing our bodies to do all the necessary tasks to keep us alive and well. We also got a crash course on how to read EKGs. Much of the material that I have been taught in the past has been interesting but a lot of the times, it has not been very applicable for practicing as a doctor, therefore, I found it to be really refreshing since this skill will be critical for my future as a doctor.

The physiology and ANS module was my best module so far. I believe the reason for this is that I am finally getting used to the pace of the program and the expectations of our professors.  My mindset for this program has also changed from using this program as a stepping stone to get me into medical school to using this program as a practice run for medical school and applying the skills that I learn from it to medical school. In doing so I have changed my studying tactics. I started studying more, making significantly more flashcards, and going over lectures after each class. 

We are now in the cardiovascular module, and one might consider it to be "frightening." There are so many things that can go wrong in the cardiovascular system! There are so many different ways that these problems can arise, including prescribing the wrong medications to your patients. I feel that this module is very applicable to my future as well, and I can't wait to learn more. Due to the madness of this month, I was not able to volunteer this month, unfortunately. However, I am excited to see what volunteering opportunity that I pursue next month and what I will undoubtedly learn from it.

Monthly Community Service Hours: 4
Cumulative Community Service Hours: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment

April Post

The month of April was a roller coaster ride for me. I finished my last semester of pharmacology, survived a tornado, and am living in a glo...