Wednesday, January 29, 2020

January Post

With the new year comes new drugs, and boy have we had a lot of them! We started off this year learning about different treatments for diabetes and sexually transmitted infections, as well as various forms of oral contraceptives. I found the diabetes aspect of our first module to be most applicable to my life because my grandmother suffers from type 2 diabetes. Since I graduated as "pre-med," my grandmother basically thinks I am a doctor and always talks to me about her blood sugar levels and diabetes medication like I know what she is talking about. Luckily, now I actually have a decent grasp of the disease and the medications, so I don't have to keep explaining to her that I am not a doctor anymore. 
I also got to learn about Lunar New Years from my classmate Linh Ha whose parents own a Vietnamese restaurant. Being from Monroe, Louisiana, we don't really have many if any Vietnamese restaurants, so I found it really cool to learn about their culture and traditions. I have always thought it is really important to immerse yourself in different cultures to become more well rounded and understanding of others. I believe this is even more important for physicians. 
Service Hours: 0
Semester Service Hours: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

April Post

The month of April was a roller coaster ride for me. I finished my last semester of pharmacology, survived a tornado, and am living in a glo...